First things first. I have played a bit, doing another journal page, experimenting with tissue paper and stuffing up the journal page. One thing never ceases to amaze me about myself. Doesn’t matter what I am doing I end up in a tiny space with my work hanging off the table…why, what is that? I wonder sometimes if there was a part of my life I lived in a small cage 🙂
As you can see here. I moved from my working table to my kitchen table to get better light. Do I move anything? Do I move further to the middle?…no…I balance in the very corner and I was actually working on the lower page. I have on many occasions upended my work . Does anyone else work like this? Probably shouldn’t ask that question because if no one answers me then I will know I stand out in the world…not in a good way 🙂
Stuff Ups: I started this journal page with layers of plain tissue paper and torn pieces of colour tissue paper (pink and blue). I pasted torn pieces of wrapper from the Christmas Ferrero Rocher chocolates and knocked it all back with white gesso. I had scraps of blue card and whilst I don’t like to cut the scraps too much I did fashion them into two girls with umbrella’s. Before I pasted them down I started playing with my black unipin pen and doodled (you can see the beginning in the top corner on the above pic)
All was going well, glued in the girls and was very pleased with my progress. Unfortunately I forgot to take a photo. Instead of letting it sit for a while I couldn’t stop with the black pen and so on and on and on I went until I stood back and went…Yuck…just stuffed that up! Then I didn’t want to take a photo but in future I will as it shows how one can go in and out of a piece of work. I still couldn’t stop and stamped spirals around in soft gold ink…still yuk!
I worked over it all with gesso but the black still showed through far too much. I then proceeded to paint it in with white acrylic and this is where it is now…nowhere actually. I am stumped, tired of it, so it is going into the cupboard for a while until I can have a fresh look at it. I am thinking snowflakes…
Both the umbrella’s are the original cut-offs as is one girls legs and the bottom girls dress. I fashioned the rest as little as possible. The heads were probably the most cut. The gold wrappers still show through a bit. I am thinking snowflakes as of course it looks very snowy.
All the beautiful photos from my blogging friends have influenced me with a snowy winter. I am in the heat but the snow photos have captured me. I have change my page. My little fellow are rugged up for winter.
My advice to all artist/crafters, remake, redo, replay, never throw away…love is in there somewhere.
Experiments and gems…
Played with tissue paper, gloss gel medium and acrylic paint.It is called ‘Crystalline Paper’. I read about it in ‘Creative Collage Techniques by Nita Leland and Virginia Lee Williams. I have had this book for years but just got to this page 🙂
The authors of the book say to use high-quality tissue paper (I used tissue paper from a shoe box- it was quite a sturdy type).
Place the tissue sheet (cut to a manageable size) onto freezer paper. coat the tissue heavily with gloss medium, brushing gently from the centre to the edges. The paper will crinkle slightly. Allow it to air dry, lifting the edges once in a while to see that it doesn’t stick to the freezer paper. Carefully turn the dry paper over and apply a coat of gloss medium to the back. Allow the paper to dry naturally, lifting the corners and edges occasionally so the sheet can be easily removed from the freezer paper when it is thoroughly dry.
Spray the dry, coated paper with water, then brush or pour thinned or liquid transparent acrylic colours on the surface, allowing the paint colours to mingle and flow. Be sure to use pure, bright colours. If you like, you can sprinkle iridescent snowflakes or glitter into the wet acrylics before you set the tissue aside to dry. The painted side will be a bit brighter in colour than the other side. Dust the dry paper lightly with corn starch to store. Use as you wish.
Well, me being me, read the first part of the instructions then put the book away, hence I did not pour liquid or transparent colours allowing them to mingle and flow…I will do it next time ;). The main thing is…I had fun and these are some of the results…
They are shinier in reality, that is not showing up here. The gem I discovered was when I held them up to the light near the window and took photos of them. I could see immediately they would be perfect for background digital work and printed papers. Here are some of them. I even saw creatures and birds within…delicious.
Happiness to everyone…